Ally Blake Romance Author - Blog

Latest news from Australian romance author Ally Blake, writer of fun, fresh flirty romance novels.

Wednesday 12 April 2006

one is the loneliest number


Okay, so in the past two days I have written 10,450 words.

Fabulous right? Fantastic! If I keep this up I can write a book in ten days! Problem is, it's not 10,450 words on my current work in progress. It's a new book. A new idea. And even with all of the distractions out there in the big wide world - the Internet, the TV, the fridge - a new idea is the one siren call I find hardest to ignore.

Maybe that's not such a bad thing, right?

Don't get me wrong, for those of you out there who have never finished a book, it can be the worst thing! I'd think if you haven't yet managed to write yourself all the way to those two magic words "THE END" then shifting from new idea to new idea can certainly be a way to find the right story for you and your voice, but it can also be a way for you to never have to face the big bad - to force your way through the middle of the book slump, to get yourself over the black moment hurdle, and hen to keep up with the downhill, so fast you can barely breathe run all the way to the resolution.

But from the beginning of all this jazz, I've actually always found writing two books at once really helpful.

While writing book number one, from here on known as "Sorrento", Trish Wylie and I were having a happy little word count contest. I relish a little competition. It gets my blood going. But as soon as she pulled ahead and finished her deadline book, I lost the cracking pace I had been hitherto enjoying.

Because at this stage, 3/4 of the way in, I know what's coming. And for me that can be the death knell for inspiration.

Some writers need to know what's around the bend so they can focus on writing the best way to get there. If I know what's coming, I feel like the work is already done!

One book, one great gaping chasm of "words that must be written" can be so exciting as as a flimmer (a writer who simply flies into the mist as I am writing a story) I have no idea what surprises await me on each page. But it can also be terrifying for the exact same reason. And on those days when the words aren't pouring from me, I can then move right on over to idea number two - the newer book, the fresher book, the one whose secrets are still all wrapped up tight inside of my head.

After a few days playing with book number two, currently called "Alpha", I hope that "Sorrento" will have been percolating nicely in my subconcious and I can come back to it afresh.

I'll let you know how much of this is fact and how much is hail Mary hope in a few days!