Ally Blake Romance Author - Blog

Latest news from Australian romance author Ally Blake, writer of fun, fresh flirty romance novels.

Thursday 26 April 2007

goodnight sweet west wing

The West Wing is now over. They played the final episode on Australian TV on Saturday night.

Needless to say I've been getting very emotional as the end has been coming nearer, as relationships long since on the boil have finally been coming to fruition, and as favourite characters have been cast aside and left out in the cold. But the ending, and the lead up was simply perfect. Even the untimely death of actor John Spencer, who played Leo McGarry was woven into the storyline with respect and much love.

Characters who hadn't been in the show for years appeared in cameos to tie up loose ends - which I think shows what respect they had for the work they'd been involved in. Even Aaron Sorkin, the creator and heart and soul of the show who was ousted by the TV station a couple of years back made a blink-and-you'd-miss-it cameo at the Presidential inauguration. Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous.

I cried from the moment the title of the last episode hit the screen. I cried at President Bartlett's final act of governing. And the final scene had me blubbing like a seven year old. This show has meant so much to me over the year. It was smart, sharp, fast, romantic, magical, funny, impressive, educational, challenging, and lathered with layer upon layer of fairy dust.

I'm sure I've mentioned here before that whenever my mum and I can get together for a few days we will spend hours watching West Wing on DVD. We start at the very beginning and work our way through, keeping a bookmark of the last episode watched so months later we can take up where we left off. We've decided this will never stop. When I'm 80 and she's 110 we'll sit back and pick up a West Wing DVD and it will be fabulous as by that stage we won't remember having seen it at all so the whole thing will be new to us over and over again ;).

Love you lots, big kisses, and adieu...

Labels: ,