Ally Blake Romance Author - Blog

Latest news from Australian romance author Ally Blake, writer of fun, fresh flirty romance novels.

Tuesday 13 September 2011

revisions = bliss!

I'm one of those strange writers who stalk my inbox in the hopes of getting revisions.  I just love 'em.  I'm nearly done with the revisions on my latest RIVA/Harlequin Presents and I've been having a ball. (Helps that I get to revisit this guy a plenty :))

I love the second opinion(I know I can't see the forest for the trees.)  I love when themes and through lines I hadn't even noticed I'd put in a book are pointed out to me.  (I'm just that clever, only I don't realise it.)  I always write long and I relish the chance to tighten the book with the good riddance to even the smallest extraneous words.  And I love that final chance to have at the story with a red pen, sweeping away repetition, and great swathes of prose I slaved over cause in the end it just ain't necessary.
One thing I do struggle with wiping away are the flirty bits that are flirty just for the fun of being flirty.  Those bits when the hero and heroine spark like crazy, but don't really talk about anything of much importance.  Between you and me, if I can get my word count back down to a sensible level, I might even keep one or two of them.  Maybe the bit about the Volvo.  Or the joke about the Prime Minister.  Or maybe...

Okay, so I have to cut 5000 words this week.  Then we'll see ;).

Labels: , , , , , ,